In 2021, Vitalik Buterin received billions of SHIB tokens, and while he burned some of them, he also kept some with the intention of donating. In one of the ongoing transaction hashes, Buterin explained:
I decided to burn 90% of the remaining Shiba tokens in my wallet. The remaining 10% will be sent to a charity (not yet decided) with similar values to CryptoRelief (large scale loss of life prevention) but with a longer term focus.
- A die initiatives which he apparently financed with some of the donations was the so-called Vitalik Butern Ph.D. Fellowship in Existential Security of AI.
- It is designed for students starting their Ph.D. programs in 2022 and plan to work on research into the existential security of AI. It would also include existing doctorates. students who otherwise would not receive funding to work on the same subject.
At universities in the United States, United Kingdom, or Canada, the annual funding will cover the student’s doctoral tuition, fees, and stipend. program up to $40,000 as well as a $10,000 fund that can be used for research-related expenses such as travel and IT.
- The first group of grant recipients has already been selected. It was announced on Wednesday.
Please welcome our first class of @VitalikButerin
Fellows in AI Existential Safety, and consider collaborating with them to make AI the best rather than the worst thing that can happen to humanity! https://t.co/El90YF95Xr pic.twitter.com/dKVX94upOM
—Max Tegmark (@tegmark) July 20, 2022
- Notably, Buterin thanked the entire Shiba Inu community, saying that without them this wouldn’t have been possible.
Many thanks to the Shiba Inu community, whose cryptocurrency has made these scholarships possible! – He noted.